Now, you understand, I don’t often have time to waste… I’m usually the one wishing for an extra couple of hours in each day just so I can fit in the things that REALLY need to be done. But, right now, I’m off work and I can’t sleep with the thousands of things I have running through my more than usually stressed head. You could change my title to ‘Top 10 ways to take your mind off the things you don’t really want to think about’ and that would work just as well.
10) Play stupid games on facebook. Challenge your friends to a Sudoku tournament and listen to them laugh at your utter defeat (‘Ahaaaa… you’re the numbers genius and I BEAT YOU! Call yourself a maths teacher…’).
9) Read a good book. Realise that you’re not really taking anything in and switch to a trashy magazine instead.
8) Go for coffee with the best friend you have. Chances are they’ll be able to take your mind off things and make you laugh, even if only for a while. If you’re really lucky, they’ll have some great stories to tell you… like the one where a guy in a coffee shop hands them a note saying, ‘My name is … and I love to be caned.’ Oh my.
7) Go into an online chatroom and ‘poke’ random strangers. Consider all the things that you can do online that would have you certified insane out in the real world. Poking? Winking? Would you really do it in real life?
6) Pick a random song and try to learn all of the lyrics. Give yourself a headache and a sore throat by singing it aloud repeatedly.
5) Get in your car and drive to the nearest beach. Ignore the signs that say, ‘Danger – sinking mud’ and find yourself ankle deep in squelchy sand. Make your retreat and take a couple of photographs of the beautiful view from a safe vantage point, and try to clean your shoes as much as you can before you get back into the car.
4) Think back to the last time you ate. If it is more than 12 hours ago, drive to Asda and wander around trying to decide what you’d like to eat. Get home again and cook it, remembering to take it out of the oven before it burns to a crisp.
3) Spend a couple of hours browsing online with your daughter for a prom dress (party dress… skirt… shoes… ). She will appreciate the time you spent with her and you can cross one thing off the ‘to-do’ list.
2) Check your email. Again. Maybe one of the bloggers you have followed will have written something that really grabs your attention and you will have something different to think about for a while. Thanks again, bloggers, it is appreciated!
1) Write a ‘Top Ten’ list of just about anything. Yes, I got this far down the list already. Someone needs to write me a new list… Anyone??